22/02/2009

A Sad Story

Let me tell you folks a story...
When I first started playing video games (back in the days of the Sega Mega Drive) I played almost everyday with which my skills improved (and I learned that shouting at the game got me nowhere ;))

Overtime, the MegaDrive turned into a NES, then a SNES, a Sega Mega CD, a Saturn, a N64, a Dreamcast, a Playstation, PS2, XBox, Gamecube, XBox 360, PS3 and WII
I've had my share of handhelds as well ranging from the original GameBoy and the Sega GameGear to a Nintendo DS and a PSP!

When I was young I didn't have to worry about how I obtained these systems, or the games for them, but now I am older I have to worry about this thing called money :(
In order to obtain this, I had to get a job which took away some of my gaming time - not a problem, there was still plenty of time each day to play :)

Then I met a girl who then (for some reason) demanded I spend time with her, this turned out to take away almost all of my free time from work to play games :(
I had a little dabble with new games every so often, but could never really dedicate the time and effort into playing a game through all the way (at last count I own about 12 - 13 Xbox 360 games that have only ever been played once or twice).
I'm still good at games, but nowhere near as good as I once was, I've lost an edge over opponents who I used to trounce in different games. I'm slower and my fingers don't appear to work as well as they once did, leaving this once great gamer a shell of his former self :(

I ask you now my gamer friends, am I getting "too old" for games (I'm 23 now soon to be 24)? Have I passed my peak? Is there hope yet, can I become good again? Is there some form of enhancement drug I can use? Am I alone in this sad state of affairs, or are there others like me? Is there a support group I can go to :)
Any answers are most welcome, and I hope to hear your own storys :)

2 comments:

Paul Brooker said...

I'm 46 and 0wn on the Urban Terror servers ;-) I love fragging young n00bs!

(Old_Git from Thinkbroadband.com)

Adam said...

At least you're now giving some of your old friends the chance to catch you up, I was never trounced the Canada THPS3 battles were epic!